I decided to make her food because:
- Anything that can sit in a jar for months, can't be good for you
- It is a lot cheaper
- Organic
- Free of any additives and extra stuff she doesn't need
- Introduces her to the 'real' tastes of foods right from the start
My first attempt at Butternut Squash Puree and Sweet Potato Puree
Start by cutting the squash in half and laying them face down in about an inch of water. Wrap the sweet potatoes in foil and roast all veggies at 400 degrees for about 1 hour. Then scoop out the 'meat' into a blender. You could also use a food processor. I might try that next time just to see. Blender worked very well though.
Puree using liquid to thin until you have the right consistency. I used breastmilk at first, but found it was taking quite a bit to thin it out so I used a few ounces of water.
Scoop into ice cube trays to freeze. This is the perfect serving size for baby.
After freezing overnight, store in bags freezer bags. These will be good for 1 month. All you do is pop one out, thaw it and voila'.....dinner is served!
From one squash and 2 medium sweet potatoes I got about 50 servings of vegetables. Which would last us just about a month right now. Not to bad for $3.00 worth of vegetables.
I am so super excited about creating yummy delicious creations for little P!
I'm making butternut squash soup for dinner tonight! How funny! But I don't think P would like my version as much as yours! :-)
ReplyDelete