Wednesday, March 27, 2013

Workin Mama

All mamas work. I know this. However, {in my opinion} it takes quite a someone to work 8 hours a day and still find a way to enjoy {and manage with grace} home too. I guess I am talking about how NOT to lose your mind and feel like you've 'got this'. Because, really, you do. A quick disclaimer: I do not always follow my own rules, but when I do......I am better-at everything.

1.) Meal Plan
 Write it down on Sunday and try to stick to it. Grocery shop with a serious list and try to stick to it as well you can. This makes evenings so much more predictable, and we eat healthier. We rarely eat out on weekdays so that means I cook about 4-5 times a week. Doesn't seem like that much? Try it with a toddler attached to you leg. When all else fails, order pizza.

2.) Don't be too hard on yourself
 This is hard. Really hard for me. But honestly, do what you can and do the rest tomorrow and know that it will be just fine.

3.) Teamwork with your hubby
I cook dinner, he does the dishes. I put laundry in, we fold together. I clean bathrooms, he cleans the wood floors. I dust the furniture, he makes the bed everyday.  I bathe P, he picks up the living room. I get her backpack ready, he gets her dressed-bow and all. For everything I do around the house, I can think of something Spence does too. He's pretty much wonderful.

4.) Do something for {you}
This probably won't happen very often, but it is so very important. It could be as simple as dinner with your husband, an evening with girlfriends, buying yourself a new pair of sandals or getting a pedicure, or just going to Target alone. Doesn't that sound lovely?  
Alone at Target....could be dangerous. {You won't get out under $100}

6.) Trust in your childcare provider
Whether it be in home care or the preschool in the neighborhood or the Montessori school that has a 2 year wait list-you have to pick the place that is best for your child. The hardest part about going back to work for me is always the fact that I am not involved in every second of her day. {I am kind of selfish with my time with my girl}  It was hard challenging almost unbearable at first. Now, I see her light up when she sees her friends and I see how much she learns everyday and I see how much she absolutely loves and thrives on the structure and routine that is her day. I know when I leave her in the morning that she is going to have a wonderful day full of learning, fun, and love. And just that thought gets me through my 'moments.'

7.) Exercise
I know there isn't time. Make time. As much as I wish I had enough time to join the crossfit crew and workout to the max 4 times a week, truth is I just can't give up any more time with my family. So I resort to run/walks, Jillian Michaels, or bike rides....oh and chasing my toddler. Being fit makes me happy!

8.) Leave work at work
Do I need say more? It is what it is, you can finish it tomorrow. This is a hard rule for a teacher! Before I was married with a baby, I could stay at school until 6pm and still bring a bag home to grade. I have to leave work at work in order to soak up my time with my family.

9.) Always be in a good book
Even if it is just 5 minutes that I can hold my eyes open, I read a bit of my novel every night. It is the best way to tune out the world and get lost in another story. I am loving Nicholas Sparks' Safe Haven right now.

10.) Wine
I can't make a list without it, right? A glass of wine can really make all your worries go away. Just one, every now and then. If wine isn't your thing, let me suggest Blue Bell Southern Blackberry Cobbler Ice Cream.

"Ta-Da"
One happy family.
This family runs on routine and we love it!

No comments:

Post a Comment