I have sat down to type out our struggles with 'sleep' or lack there of at least four times and I never finish because it stresses me out just thinking about how little sleep we get around here sometimes. Being a mom is hard work, the best kind of hard work, but it's hard. Being a mom that works all day {teaching other peoples babies} is even harder. I love my husband, my baby, my family, my house, my friends, my job, my coworkers, everything about my life......but it isn't always easy. Last week was one of
those weeks. We have been 'sleep training' round here for the past 2 weeks basically because our 16 month old is smarter than we are and she had trained us. Trained us to run to her crib each time she cries out, scoop her up and carry her away to a snuggly place right between mama and dada where we would sleep ever so peacefully for the remainder of the night. Exhibit A:
We have experienced all six of these positions. This actually makes me laugh out loud!
The time she awoke got earlier and earlier and before we knew it, I was going to bed at 8:00 with the baby. Fabulous. After just 3 nights of that, I put my foot down and daddy whisperer took over the sleep training. I have read Dr. Ferber's
book {twice} and we began following that schedule. It feels like when we take a step forward, she cuts teeth, gets an ear infection or a cold and we take 3 steps backward. Currently fighting a runny nose and mild cough. :(
When that sweet baby is crying, I feel like the worst mom in the world, but I know it is better for all of us that she learn to sleep like a big girl. Hopefully the hard work will be worth it.....all this mama is asking for is 6 (but I'd settle for 5) hours of
uninterrupted sleep.
My husband, for the record, is tougher than I am. He is the baby whisperer....I cave when I see tears. We make a good team.
Ah, I feel better! Learning everyday and look at that---it's almost 10:00 and the little one is still sleeping. Saying a prayer now.........
This tired mama wrote this last week and never published. Glad to say that it has only gotten better and there has been minimal crying. We are sticking to it and all sleeping better around here.
No comments:
Post a Comment