Do I want to talk about it? No. Do I want to relive it? Never. Do I need to share it so that I could possibly prevent it from happening to anyone else? Yes.
Winston bit Presley. He bit our baby on her face. It happened on Sunday night after dinner. We were both standing right there next to her as she plopped down in the middle of the kitchen floor. It was an accident. I was washing my hands, Spence was putting away leftovers. We think Winston was waiting for something to drop and he felt that P was in his way. It wasn't just a snap. It seemed aggressive. I always knew he was feisty, but never thought he would intentionally harm our baby. A snap-I expected (he's a dog), but never this. We have always been over protective when Winston was anywhere near our baby. So how did this happen? How did I let this happen? One split second, that is all it took.
We rushed her to the ER and she was seen right away by a wonderful doctor. She was sedated {scariest thing ever-but necessary so he could be precise} and received 14 stitches in 4 different places on her face. We are lucky. It could have been worse. Don't we always say that when something bad happens? She's our baby. She's our perfect baby and she has stitches in her face. The scars will be so small and they will fade. My guilt, will take a little longer.
Our daughter is truly incredible. We have looked at her in awe all week. How can this little person be so happy when she just had her face sewn up? How has she already forgotten about what just happened? How is she so amazing? She is tough, she is so resilient, she is such a wonder. She has made this mess a whole lot easier for us. The situation is one I never wanted to deal with, but she's our baby and we have to keep her safe. Its our most important job in the world.........
It has been a week and we feel so beyond ready to put this behind us and just finish healing up-in more ways than one. P has done so well, her stitches were taken out on Thursday and we are amazed with the progress that her 'boo boos' have made. She has healed immensely well and our baby is going to be just fine, that is all that matters at the end of the day.
Really though, the before and after pictures are pretty impressive. (see below) Maybe I am biased, but I think it looks great. Honestly, it looks like she just fell and scratched her face up pretty good.
You wouldn't believe how many people have said "Oh, that happened to my daughter or my niece or my brother." It happens more than you think with family dogs-dogs that you would never think to do something like this. Just be careful---We were, but it just takes a split second.
Prayers are appreciated for our little one as she continues to heal up and as we move on without our dear sweet Winston in our home.
goodness! that is horrible! poor P. i'm sorry y'all had to go through that.
ReplyDelete