Monday, October 14, 2013

3 Days of Potty Training Thoughts

Honestly, when I heard you could potty train a toddler in 3 days, I didn't really believe it, but I was willing to give it a go. We have been so impressed with how quickly and easily Miss P caught on.  A little potty training journal........

Day 1 Thoughts
  • Started at 6:00 am. As the book instructed, we went straight to big girl panties. We went to the mall the day before and stocked up, I let her pick them out so she was very excited about it!
  • I encouraged her to drink fluids all day----she even got juice, which is not a daily thing with us. 
  • Had a total of 5 accidents in day one. Not too bad. 
  • I decided to continue to use pull ups at nap and night time. I think when she starts waking up dry repeatedly, we will completely retire that. She did have a 2 hour dry nap, so I think that's a good sign.
  • Instead of asking "Do you have to teetee?" you should say, "Don't for get to tell us if you have to go teetee and we will run to the potty."
  • I like how the book made a point of discouraging going to the potty to 'try,' they need to learn to go to the potty when they have to go. This method definitely teaches that
  • We used lots of positive reinforcement! She gets 2 mini M&M's after each successful potty trip and lots of hugs, "I'm proud of yous," and high fives!
Day 2 Thoughts
  • I am too exhausted to even think. No, seriously, my child was so eager to continue training that she woke up at 5:20. The sun wasn't even up!
  • I am thinking that this was WAY too easy. We have had zero accidents today. I am so surprised, and I don't want to speak too soon, but I think she is catching on.
Day 3 Thoughts
  • I am so glad that we decided to go this route for potty training.
  • Another day with ZERO accidents. Amazing!
  • We even left the house today. I ran a quick errand and went for an hour walk---all with big girl panties on.
I hope that this sticks because there is no way I am going back! We get a little diaper break, what a treat! I would recommend following the steps in Lora Jensen's book 3 Day Potty Training to anyone who has a toddler who is ready to train.

This was such a fun weekend, but I have to say I am glad it is coming to an end. Potty Training is exhausting!

No comments:

Post a Comment