Sunday, April 15, 2012

Do we really need that?

So when you have a baby, the list of 'necessities' is like never ending. If you think registering for a wedding was overwhelming, just wait. Babies R Us is ridiculous...but I admit, it's my favorite store. There were a few things that I decided not to register for or purchase, simply because I thought they seemed like a huge waste of money and just too much fuss. So these are my new mommy thoughts on those so called 'necessities'.

Please note: This is just my OPINION. You diaper genie, travel system lovers remember that as you read. I just thought moms to be might want to know what they really don't 'have' to buy. It's all about what works for you!


Bath Time
     



                 Vs.
We only had one bathroom in our house when Presley was born, and it was small, so the last thing I needed was another thing to clean and store every single time we used it. And the thought of setting it up on the kitchen counter, gave me headache. I got this fabulous $5 ladybug sponge that I put right in the regular tub. When Presley was a newborn and up to about a month ago, we laid a thin towel on the sponge and kept her covered and warm. It is such an easy clean up and just hangs on a hook in the tub to dry.

Strolling 


Vs.
When we were stroller shopping, Spencer said, "whatever we get, you have to be able to collapse it with one hand because you will most of the time be holding a baby," Isn't he smart? Well I went to look at my "dream" stroller (similar to the one on the left) and I could not figure the thing out, and was floored to see how big and bulky it was. Not for me!  That little skeleton on the right is the snap n go. And it does exactly what it says. It's super light and easy to throw from car to car or use to run in and out of the mall. When your lil one is ready to sit up, you just upgrade to a lightweight stroller, like the Chicco Lightway, which we just purchased last week. It is not to big, not too small, reclines, has cup holders & storage underneath. Love it! 

Stinkies
The last item I never found to be a true necessity was the Diaper Genie. Pretty much grosses me out to think of diapers sitting in a trash can for several days. I also heard from many people that they do not really mask the smell. So, we use a little bathroom step can and put grocery bags in it. We take it out to the big trash once a day usually....sometimes every other. But let's be honest, I usually walk stinkies to the outside trash right away!

I suggest reading reviews, hundreds of them, before you buy any 'baby item.' Everyone is different and something that is practical for me might not be so for you. 

Here is what I did invest in:




1 comment:

  1. This is good stuff to know! Babies are years away for us, but I have serious Baby Fever so I love reading baby tips to store in my Future Mommy Vault :)

    ReplyDelete